Monday, April 9, 2012

Mini Series Part 2: Reflections on an MSI

Last week, it finally hit me.  I'm GRADUATING later this month.  It hit when one of my Professors said, "we'll take some time at the end of class next week to fill out your course evaluations" and when I said, "yep, I'm graduating next mont... oh wait.  It's April.  I'm graduating this month."

So here it is, my attempt at reflections on my MSI.  Last Monday, I wrote about time and balance (which was weighing heavily at that time) and so this week, I'll write about something prevalent right now: extracurricular involvement.

At the end of my first year, I was asked to run for Treasurer of the School of Information Student Association (SISA).  After a bit of deliberation (partially due to my worry about the amount of time it would take :), I decided to run, and I was fortunate enough to win the election.  Little did I know at the time just how much of an impact this would have on my time at SI. 

Being a part of SISA has allowed me to meet new great people, network, and build my resume.  It's allowed me the chance to plan events (something I love to do), facilitate student involvement (something else I love to do), and gain administrative and budgetary skills.  My participation in SISA has been invaluable as I learned to work with fellow Officers, other SI students, SI administrators, and SI staff.

These are skills that would have been very difficult to obtain without extending my time at SI into an extracurricular activity.  So, here's a shout of encouragement to get involved when you can - it's about taking the opportunities that come and making the most of them.   Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment