Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lessons learned: Professionalism, ethics, and self

It's been a tumultous couple of days. But my experiences related to these incidents have helped me see things more clearly - professionally, ethically and personally.

Between yesterday and today I've had to make some professional, ethical and personal decisions.  And I learned some valuable life-long lessons in the process.

What I learned over the past two days is that honesty is the best policy.  I learned that needing to take care of myself is important and is valued by those who understand that taking on too much can be taxing and dehibilitating to not only self but others.  I've reaffirmed that people are good, and understand when things don't go as planned.  I've learned people understand that right now I'm a student first and an "everything else" second, and that sometimes academics and health (mental or physical) need to come first.  I've learned that when you do the right thing - continously - people recognize that.

This incident may be the culmination of this busy semester, where I've committed to too much and a lot has suffered.  But I really believe that what has happened over the past two days has been a great learning experience and is one that I will always remember as I move forward professionally, ethically, and personally.

So here's to a clearer head, a re-focus on what's important, and a better second half of the final semester of my first Master's degree.

And here's a huge thank you to those who've helped me learn these lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment