Monday, April 2, 2012

Mini Series Part 1: Reflections on an MSI

With less than four weeks until I graduate from the School of Information (SI), there is quite a bit to do.  So as I sat here today, considering what to write, my colleague Kelly (check out her blog here) suggested I do a mini series on reflections from the past 18 months of my Masters of Science Information.  Thanks, Kelly, for the practical and useful idea! 

I'll preface this by saying I cannot believe how fast this time went.  Anyone considering a degree, a large project, or something else that seems overwhelming, before turning an opportunity down, remember that this time flies by and it will be over before you know it.

That said, it is also incredible how much I've learned about "information," libraries, communities, and about myself during my time at SI.  I've learned about information overload, have been overloaded by information, and have learned that I can handle more than I ever thought possible.  I've learned that when I think I can't take on one more thing, that I actually can, and do. 

The lesson above is one that has culminated this semester: 15 credits, one large PT job, one small PT job, student association, volunteer events... it's been too much.  But it's a great lesson learned.  Prior to this term, I always said that my life needs to be balanced and that the grades/recognition/need to get ahead were not worth giving up things I enjoy doing such as yoga, seeing family and friends, or reading a book for pleasure.  Before this semester, I had been able to fit that all in while still completing things at a high level.  The past four months have been simply too much for me to handle, and while this has taken a toll on my sanity, it also helped me realize that it is not worth it to me to do everything related to work and volunteer commitments, and that most things will still get done without me (and that if they don't it's not going to be my fault). 

So, the first reflection and lesson learned: the need to find balance.  I'm sure I'll be working on this forever, but being cognizant of this need might be the first step.  Tune in next Monday for Reflections Part 2 of (TBD :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment