Sunday, January 23, 2011

Learning Methods, Tutorials, Modules, and how it all comes together

This weeks readings provided a very interesting way to think about instruction and learning methods.  Building from week ones readings about how people learn, it was helpful to read and consider how many different tools and resources are available to help people learn in a variety of ways. 

With the aid of technology, there are now so many ways that people can choose to both provide instruction and learn.  Online modules and tutorials, and infinite types of software are available for people to use in their learning and teaching process.  As Yelinek says, teaching software is a matter of teaching procedure (p. 101) but that the learner's procedures will yield different outcomes based on their reasons for wanting to learn.  Instructors will need to take into account materials and learners as well as research on instruction.  As well, instructors and learners will want to consider the variety of software that is available to aid in their learning process; that is, sometimes free resources do not always provide what is necessary for the learning.  While free resources are flexible and can be used in many online spaces, they may not have everything that the instructor wants (Griffis).  As Johnston's collection of research points out, there are many ways that students should learn, but that accessible, usable and useful information to learn information literacy is crucial.  This should all be considered when creating a workshop in a (library) instructional atmosphere. 

The one-shot library workshop article considers all of this as well as the educational psychology involved in creating a workshop.  It asks how instructors want to and do create workshops (e.g. via making an outline, students ask questions then instructor answer?, lecture and demo?, use a colleagues outline and wing it?, create a worksheet and shape workshop around it?).  The article focuses on systematic instructional design, ADDIE - analysis, design, development, implementation, evaluation.
Analysis: background work - why does someone want this workshop?
Design: Content areas, objectives, ongoing assessments
Development: Workable lesson plans
Implementation: Tested and implemented

Evaluation: Evaluate feedback and redesign (parts) if necessary

This instructional design method allows for long term use, flexibility, stakeholder input, consistency, training, professional development, and quality.  It also helps an instructor think about whether to design a workshop individually, individually with feedback, with a group, or with a partner.  Time and money are also factors to consider.

This information is extremely relevant for me; I am going to begin observing library workshops and am on track to begin instructing by the end of this term.  As well, I am creating and editing tutorials that focus on current software that the library has.  Currently, I am editing a RefWorks handout that helps U of M students and faculty use the bibliographic software.  I found particularly interesting, then, the piece about how research shows that users want more graphics and less written text (Yelinek, pg. 103).  I will incorporate this into my edit of the tutorial.  Further, when I am observing workshops over the next few weeks, I will think about how the idea of information literacy is embedded into the subject of the course.  Tomorrow, Jan. 24, I am observing an English 125 workshop on library usage and know that the idea of information literacy will come out in a group of second semester freshmen.  It will be particularly interesting to think about their age group (18-19), current information literacy skills (probably high) paired with their knowledge of the library system (probably very little).  Hopefully, the workshop will give the students tools they can use when they leave, that it will be student-centered.  It will be interesting to see if the instructor balances face-to-face interaction suggestions with online tools (such as remote chat or email reference through Ask a Librarian).

As the semester progresses and I consider developing workshops, I will think about the ADDIE structure.  I may even try to ask librarians who have developed current workshops their method of instructional design.  Having many ideas of how this happens will be useful to my learning and career.  Personally, I have always found that getting input from those who the workshop is for, and focusing on evaluation are critical to successful learning.  If the instructor doesn't know what the learner wants, they cannot effectively teach.  And, if assessment isn't taken on the success of the workshop, the instructor will never know what they could do differently or better.  I will consider these as I move forward as well. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have lots of great projects coming up. Can't wait to hear how they develop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear how the English 125 workshop goes! I am particularly interested in what you discover about their information literacy skills. I wrote a paper last semester about information literacy, and a lot of what I read had bleak statistics on where students are when they enter college...I hope what you experience proves that wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in hearing about the results of your observations. I would definitely like to hear how other people plan workshops--I have a hunch that at least some elements of any methods used will be similar to ADDIE. I would also be interested to know what you find out about info literacy. I think they may be ahead in some areas, but not all. I guess I'll have a better idea after this week's reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kara, the workshop for English 125 turned out to be mostly about plagerism. We did an activity that the students seemed to understand.

    @Elise & Kara, I also observed a workshop for a psych 303 (upper level) class and the most of the students had used the library databases before. I guess after two years at UM they needed to use them?

    However, I haven't yet been involved in planning workshops but did find out that both the English 125 and Psych 303 workshops had already been done several times. I know that the U takes evaluations of all the workshops but I'm not sure how they use them... hope to find out more soon!

    ReplyDelete