Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Club Readings...

I've been debating how to blog about our book club readings as I know we'll discuss them thoroughly in class on Monday during our actual book clubs (about which I'm pretty excited).  It'll be pretty evident there as to whether or not I've done the reading critically, so I'll just list what I read and my immediate reflections to them (so if this is one blog post that is graded a bit less, I'll understand why).  Overall, there was a very interesting diversity of reading and it really was quite enjoyable (yay grad school!).

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift: This piece was quite short but very thought provoking.  I am interested to see the questions and how our discussion plays out. Will we be participants discussing it in 1729 or will we be historians, of sorts?  Two very different ways to view this piece....

The Landlady by Roald Dahl: I haven't read anything by Roald Dahl in YEARS and was excited to see this on the list (never read it as a child).  I enjoyed the short story and am still processing the implications of it.  There's a lot to wonder about, in this one...

The Four Habits of Highly Effective Librarians by Todd Gilman: Another interesting piece to read here!  I liked the conciseness of the article and the topics presented.  It was written nearly four years ago so again I wonder will we be discussing this circa 2007 or 2011, when there is still definitely a Reference Desk at OUR large research library :)

The Nightingale and the Rose by Oscar Wilde: I never remember hearing this story as a child but it is vaguely familiar to me.  The story is so sad, and I'm still pondering "the point" of it.  A good topic for book club discussions.  Will we be children at the book club, or adults?

Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, it would be interesting to discuss A Modest Proposal as contemporaries. I had never considered that-that would be a fun approach for any book club. Can you imagine reading Anne of Green Gables as Anne's neighbor? Interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete