Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reflection of March 21, 2011 Class

During class last Monday we each had the opportunity to present a workshop with a partner (the same partner as for the Book Club assignment two weeks prior).  This was an invaluable activity that - again - brought in professional practice that I know I will use in the near future.  We each had to choose a library ethics topic and present for 20-25 minutes.  It was first interesting to choose an ethics issue - my partner and I looked at the ALA Code of Ethics and chose to present on usefully using library resources.  This may not seem like an ethics topic up front, but effectively providing access to users is actually a major ethical issue.  If users cannot find what they need, they cannot use the material.  Plain and simple. 

One of the major challenges was time.  I know that it was pretty logistical that we only had 20-25 minutes but it was also a good way to learn how to manage time in a workshop.  We outlined our timeline for the session (which was extremely helpful) and made sure to stay on time, but to have to do this reminded me that in the real world, if a session runs over, you've got to be the President, or something, or else people will lose focus and or leave.  So, keeping on time was important and this was a great way to practice this.

It was great to be able to see what others considered important ethical issues - cataloging correctly, use of new technologies, and ebooks/e-subscriptions were the topics in the Diamonds group.  I not only learned "stuff" but I also got to observe other's teaching styles and what they considered to be effective learning.  Most groups had a handout and did some sort of brainstorming or activity which made it clear that people thought those were effective learning methods, and I agree.

It was great to not only plan and present but also observe.  This practical activity was fun and useful; I will be instructing this summer at the library and will most definitely use what I learned during this course and during this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment