Thursday, November 17, 2011

Connecting Developments - Detroit Center

Last week was busy and exciting for many reasons.  On Wednesday, I visited another library, which I wrote about here and Thursday I had a chance to go to the Detroit Center, a UM-sponsored center downtown that houses UM projects such as UM Semester in Detroit, School of Social Work Technical Assistance, the Ginsberg Center, and many more that you can read about on their website.

The work at the Detroit Center is something in which I'll be engaged through May 2012.  As part of my internship, I'm required to commit to a project in my second year of my graduate program that not only enhances my own professional development, but also helps fulfill a need in the library.  I've always been interested in outreach and knew that the outreach librarians here at UM were doing interesting work.  Once I learned more about their goals and projects, and started thinking more about my higher education degree, I was even more excited to work with them.

The library is at the Detroit Center to provide research assistance to the projects.  Part of the work we're doing now is thinking about how to connect the correct librarian to the appropriate project.  It's exciting to see things coming together. Other goals for the library at the Detroit Center include providing resources for grants, and helping the project leaders think about how they can use library resources to enhance their work.

This relates to my visit to the nearby academic library last week in one direct way.  One of the Dean's visions was to create more partnerships and collaborations.  UM is not perfect and thus one of my career goals is to create more partnerships between university libraries, university resources, and the surrounding communities that need them.  The Detroit Center is a great example of how this is happening NOW and has a lot of potential to develop further.

No comments:

Post a Comment