Thursday, November 3, 2011

New Future Developments

Well, life keeps changing at warp speed.  Lots of changes happen from one day to the next, not to mention how much happens in a week!

Part of the change this week is that part of my next endeavor is set.  Nope, not a job - another degree.  As I began my MSI, and started thinking about what it is I wanted to do long-term, I realized I wanted to be involved in budgeting, managing people, facilitating, project management...and so, I decided I wanted to give myself the best chance I could to go into administration in higher education.  With a little investigation, I discovered that I could most likely complete the 30 credit Masters of Arts in Higher Education in one extra semester.  One extra semester!  I consulted with some professors and colleagues, and decided I had to do this.  So, I applied over the summer and was accepted just last week.  

I'm excited to start pairing my knowledge of information with new knowledge I'll gain of higher education.  When writing my essay to the School of Education, I started actualizing how the two degrees really complement one another and also will provide me with a wealth of job opportunities when I start looking.  My heart is in the library, but there are so many ways that the library could collaborate with other departments - I could help facilitate that.

My real goal for my career is to create partnerships between the community and higher education, and the library is one place this can happen.  But there are other places as well, that I'll be excited to start exploring in my new coursework.

I'm still going to be looking for jobs.  Ideally, I would like a part-time position or a full-time position with fairly negotiable hours (say 35 hrs/week over the fall semester while I finish the ED degree?).  Not a lot to ask in this tough market, I know.  But as I wrote a few weeks ago, it never hurts to ask, so I'm throwing this idea/request to my readers in case they hear of anything to pass along.

Until next time...thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Can't believe you can do it in just one additional semeseter -- terrific!

    ReplyDelete