Friday, June 22, 2012

Instruction: Back to the beginning

It's been a while since I wrote about instruction, which was one of my first major blog topics (you can see some of my older posts on my first instruction experience, the value of observation, some overall reflections and and my most recent instructional post). 

And the one thing I've really learned about instruction is that there is always more to learn.  Just yesterday I had yet another new experience... developing a workshop outline from the ground-up by myself and teaching it.  (Well, I didn't develop the outline just yesterday, but the instructional session was yesterday.) 

The University of Michigan has recently begun officially using Google Apps, which includes Google Docs.  I've not written much about Google, but if you know me personally, you know that I am kind of obsessed with Google for work and personal productivity.  I make spreadsheets and docs for *everything* (even my book club) and have started a Google Calendar with my girlfriends for easier scheduling purposes.  That said, when I was asked to develop and teach this workshop, it was exciting.

Then I sat down to do it.  I know Google Docs pretty well, simply because I use them.  So I decided to "go with what I know" and not make the workshop too structured, because the best way to learn to use Google Docs is to do it.  I wanted to teach the various features and options within Docs while allowing the workshop participants to play.  I had feedback from my supervisors, and a friend who had taken a Docs workshop a couple of weeks back.  So I felt fairly confident that the workshop I planned was on track.

But now here's the thing.  I think it went well.  It was so difficult to tell.  When teaching Word for Dissertation - a workshop with a specific purpose where you can tell if people are following along - it's a bit easier.  I never expect workshop participants to walk away remembering everything but it's good to know they learned something.  In the Google Docs workshop yesterday, people were asking questions, playing around with Docs while I was talking (which was great!), and some stayed after to ask questions.  So I think it went well.

But how to tell?  Just another challenge in instruction. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment