Thursday, June 7, 2012

What kind of blog is this?

Blogs are everywhere.  Blogs with images, blogs with news commentary, blogs about research... 

Today, I received an inadvertent email (not directly questioning my blog) that did make me question my blog.  What is the goal?  Why did I create it?  What kind of blog is it?

When I started blogging, I blogged for a class which required me to reflect on readings from the course and the activities in which we participated during the sessions.  When I started blogging on my own, I didn't really think about what type of blog this would be except that I knew I wanted to document my journey of completing my master's degrees and my experiences at my job.  I never considered anything else.

Today's email made me realize that frequent consideration about what I do - and do publicly - is important.  I'm still fine with blogging my experiences - because I am still making my way through school and figuring out my professional life - but the email made me think about how this blog can change and evolve.  When I do become a professional, I don't just have to blog about what I am doing, and hope that others find it interesting - I can blog about what I see on the outside, and tie my experiences in with that.  I can review articles and research and discuss how I'm doing, or not doing, what the research suggests.  So maybe I will. 

But today's email really just gave me a chance to reflect on the purpose of this blog.  I know what it is now, but the email reminded me that growth is important and that it doesn't have to be this way forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment