Friday, July 13, 2012

Unknown

When the end of a journey is near, various feelings move fluidly day by day and week by week. 

My position ends August 31, and I'm moving into the unknown.  All I know about Sept. 1 is that I will be starting my final semester of school (ever) on Tuesday, September 4 and will complete my Master of Arts in Higher Education in December.  And that's it.

The librarian in me is a planner and organizer.  I like to know what's going on, when it's happening, and the extent to which I'm involved (anyone who has seen my calendar can attest to this).  But that isn't always realistic and I'm realizing that I can't always be in control.  And it's stressing me out.

However, this is a great learning and growing experience for professionalism and life in general.  In the past I've been able to control things; I controlled my schedule, the amount of time I put into work and projects, and upcoming life stuff seemed to be in place.  Now, my fall and beyond are up in the air and I'm struggling to relax, even though I know that most likely, everything will turn out just fine.

This is a great learning experience because there will be many times in my future where things are out of my control.  I won't be able to control my schedule, my work, and life stuff that happens.  And I need to still be able to be productive, deal with it, and have a good, positive (and less anxious) attitude.

I've been incredibly lucky in life so far, and this experience (as mere and slight as it is) helps put things into perspective - whatever my situation, I've got it good.  The "issues" which I'm experiencing are minor in terms of the world and what others go through every day.  So while I don't know where I'll be Sept. 1, I can trust that it will be fine.  And I keep telling myself that, and where I will be will probably be better than fine - because it will be a learning experience from which I can grow professionally and personally.  So that's my new attitude and I'm sticking to it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment