Friday, August 10, 2012

Final Workshop

Today I will co-instruct my last workshop at the UM Library.  It's hard to believe that just over a year ago today was my first Word for Dissertation session.  I wrote about that experience on August 5, 2011 and here it is August 10, 2012; boy does time fly!

When I first started teaching, I was much less confident than I am now.  Now, I'm ready to go in and show graduate students the best ways to format their dissertations, in a way that will make the process easier for them.  I'm comfortable working with another co-instructor and watching her teach the workshop in a different way than I did.  It's great to know that there is someone else stepping in who can help mentor the person who may become their co-instructor. 

I'll take my instructing technology experiences, and try to use the skills I've learned in a transferable way.  I'll know that staying excited and upbeat during sessions or presentations is critical; that making the participants feel comfortable asking questions and following along; that everyone learns and processes information differently.  It will be valuable to have experience instructing on a variety of things from technology, to databases, to freshmen orientation.  And, it is wonderful knowing that I can always re-connect with co-instructors for tips and feedback.

Instruction has been a very interesting and fun part of my appointment at the library.  It's something I've truly enjoyed and hope to do more of in different ways in my next position.  And it's something that I've been fortunate enough to have time to reflect upon with mentors and colleagues who are constructive and encouraging.  So for now, here's the last library instruction post... thanks for following this piece of the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment