Sunday, September 2, 2012

First Week in Higher Ed: The Other Side of Orientation

This was my first week as a higher education professional outside of the library.  And boy, was it something!  My first day at the School of Information as Recruiting and Admissions Coordinator also marked the week of the UMSI incoming student orientation.  This meant that the days were filled with meeting students(!), answering questions, printing last minute materials, coordinating room changes, adjusting working groups, and so much more.  To me, there was no better way to dive into my new job.

I learned so much in my first week.  I learned that there is so much more to putting on a large event (like orientation) than one realizes as a student.  I felt lucky knowing the people I was working with, the specializations for UMSI master's students, what "501" meant, and the culture of UMSI.  But I also realized how much more I had to learn.  I had never thought about all of the behind the scenes "stuff" like ordering balloons for the check-in table, what it's like to organize current student volunteers for events (even though I'd been recruited to participate as a student), or that catering orders might need to be adjusted.  I never realized how much work goes into these days, and that the people working the events would still have email coming in from student groups, prospective students, students who need schedule changes, and other responsibilities that are outside of orientation.

And this all allowed me to gain even more respect for the higher education professionals that make students' experiences at UMSI special.  It made me even more excited to have the opportunity to have my new position be at a place that cares SO MUCH about its students.  I cannot wait to start my final graduate school semester and put my full self into working at UMSI to continue its tradition of being an incredibly unique school that focuses completely on the student experience.  I'm so grateful that I get to start my higher education career (outside of the library) at a place where I can learn and grow as a professional, in a way that is completely about the student.  So here's to starting the 2012-13 year!    

2 comments:

  1. Your glimpse of all that Student Services puts into Orientation is a tangible reminder of how much SI faculty have to be grateful for. Glad you're on the team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin! The students, other UMSI staff, and faculty (like you) make it all happen for students at the School!

    ReplyDelete