Sunday, September 9, 2012

Getting into the flow

Starting a new job and new classes at the same time - or even just the start of a new school year - is quite exciting and invigorating.  It means new responsibilities, new deadlines, and a new routine.  As I sit down on my first Sunday of the semester to begin my homework, enter due dates into my calendar, and start to engage myself in unfamiliar topics, I get a bit apprehensive about my abilities to complete all of this work and do it well.

Then I remember that I work much better when I'm in a routine... in a flow... Once I get rolling, my calendar and to-do list doesn't seem quite as daunting, because I'm in the middle of it and don't have time to worry about every single thing I have to do.  I do better when I'm busy because when there's too much time to think, anxiety creeps in.

It will be a challenging semester, no doubt.  But it will also be incredibly energizing as I learn about things that directly relate to my new position, that I can apply immediately or down the road.  I'll get to research applicable topics to student and academic affairs, institutional environments, and developmental theories.  I'll get to learn from my colleagues about their experiences and their thoughts on these issues.  And I'll come out of this semester even more prepared to be a higher education professional.

So while the stress of a new term looms right in front of me, in a few weeks (or later this week), I'll be so immersed in it, I will remind myself that these are times I learn the most and thrive... and that is my motivation to have a successful final semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment