Sunday, September 16, 2012

The other side of library instruction

Last week in my student affairs class, the Education Librarian from the Hatcher Graduate Library came to teach a session to help with our research.  When people hear this and know that I am trained as a librarian, they often say, "oh, you probably know all of this!" or "you could probably teach this class!"  While I may "know" what is being taught, there is nothing more valuable than having a refresher from an expert.

I always learn new skills, am reminded of database specifics, and become engaged differently when sitting in library workshop sessions.  No two classes are alike, no two instructors teach the same way or the same methods of finding resources, and there is always more to learn.  The session last Tuesday was specific to the field of higher education, and I picked up tricks and tips that I would have otherwise forgotten.

So last week's workshop was yet another reminder to me of why I studied information - It's so valuable and revelant.  Kudos to Karen for teaching a great session, and for helping me remember these things, and to the rest of the librarians out there doing this same thing every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment